“The given key was not present in the dictionary” issue in Sharepoint 2010 RTM

Lately I hit a very strange issue while configuring Sharepoint 2010. It installed fine on Windows Server 2008 R2 with local SQL Server 2008 R2 instance. However I had strange errors in central administration, e.g.:

  • “The given key was not present in the dictionary” error when attempting to run the Configure Farm Wizard
  • Moreover it seemed as though the same user had different permissions in central admin when browsing it locally on server or remotely!
  • The error  “The given key was not present in the dictionary” repeated itself while attempting to configure Sharepoint SQL reporting integration/

The Sharepoint logs (in “14” hive) showed that it seemed this method failed:

GetUserPropertyFromAD(SPWebApplication webApplicaiton, String loginName, String propertyName)

So I thought its an AD permission issue, and it was! I had to grant AUTHENTICATED USERS READ permission (probably read ‘some’ information would be enough) to the MOSS accounts (I granted to the DB access account and managed services account). After that an IISRESET and it worked.

Again Microsoft could improve its error messages – nothing new ;D

Advertisements

~ by alipka on May 13, 2010.

8 Responses to ““The given key was not present in the dictionary” issue in Sharepoint 2010 RTM”

  1. Next time try ADInsight, LDAP tracing or just network tracing to see what it is trying to read. Funny … I didn’t hit the same issue in my case – maybe because I was not setting up a farm but standalone server.

  2. Tomek – thx for the tip. will use those tools next time. I also did not see this issue on my other installs, so it could be due to different AD permission/security settings on service accounts I guess.

  3. I don’t understand your advice “grant AUTHENTICATED USERS READ permission (probably read ‘some’ information would be enough) to the MOSS accounts”. Are you saying grant read to the moss accounts? Read what? Or are you saying authenticated users not read access to the moss accounts??

    I hope you can clear this up for me as I’m have a heck of a problem with this error message. Seems I can’t get the configuration to run for a new sp farm install unless I set the domain admin account as the farm admin acct.

    Thanks.

    • You need to go to Active Directory Usersand Computers find your MOSS accounts (DB access account and managed services account). on the security tab of each od those AD objects add authenticated users group and give them READ permission. than rerun your configuration wizard.

      • Thank you so much!
        I’ve been seraching for a solution for this “problem” for quite a while now. And all that fuzz – because of missing out a little checkbox. Daaahhhh…
        Now it works: Yes, Yes and Yes! :o)

  4. YES!! Your advice worked like a charm. Thank you very much for this post – this error has been driving me crazy for several days.

  5. Thx you saved my life! =-)

  6. Same error with farm config of 2013. This does not seem to have fixed the problem.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: